Thursday, May 3, 2012

Relaying Your Team's Vision

Having a vision and relaying it to your players is a vital part of team success. Any great leader has had a vision and has been able to convey it to his/her audience and execute a plan on that vision. The question then becomes what do you do in the case of players that range in age from 5-10? I had been struggling with how to accomplish this before the season hit but it came to me one night. One of my core values has always been 'Team work" so I played on that to motivate them to work together. The next day I started breaking my practice into segments that all led up to each player having some type of accomplishment that day or week. I gave them "One Goal". As the weeks went on I added to that “Goal”. Now in week 5 of the season we are 4-0 and our goal is “Undefeated and Nobody Scores on Us”. At first the “One Team, One Goal” concept made no sense to them but now it has meaning and gives them a purpose. Each game they go out there to work on being undefeated and not letting anyone score on us. They also know that it will take trust and belief in each other to reach that goal so they hold each other accountable. Watching them communicate with each other and congratulate a good play is what I am looking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment