Thursday, May 3, 2012

Question: Are coaches kids pre-disposed to be better than those of non coaches?

Ok, I have question for yall. Do you all think that coaches kids are pre-destined to be better than those of a non coach. This all started from a conversation my friend and I were having. We were watching one of the spring flag football games and just observing the players. There were some that were average, below average, and one or two superstars. The one or two superstars were the kids of the coaches and it was clear that they were on a different level than the other kids. I yelled, "I knew it!", and we laughed. My buddy thinks that coaches' kids get preferential treatment and I sort of agree but only to a point. I was telling him that coaches' kids have more of an advantage simply because they live with the coach and are always immersed in sports at home. It's in our blood and it bleeds over. Our lives are just one really long practice...LOL.


Example: My son (age 8) is the QB of my team and has a very high football IQ. He knows the entire playbook and can execute it flawlessly. In fact he helped make some of it up. I was initially worried about the other parents claiming he was getting preferential treatment but all that ended once they saw him play. 


So I wanted to throw it out there to yall. Do you think that coaches kids are that much better or do they get preferential treatment? Would love to hear you comments on this one.


6 comments:

  1. I don't believe players of coaches are much better because their parent is a coach, but that many coaches coach because their child is better and/or bigger/faster.

    Overall, it's the athletic ability that drives success, especially at a younger age (coaches kid or not). As the talent starts to even out, then having a greater knowledge of the game will become key to go along with the athletic ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting take on it Tim. Athletic ability is an important factor to success but I believe that even "average" players can be made into better players with the right coaching early on. I take myself for instance. My father was an All-American in basketball and baseball but I was not blessed with his athletic gifts. He coached me all my life and even though I was not an All- American I can say that I learned a higher level of understanding of the game and the tips that he gave me allowed me to have an "edge" on the other kids because I was more "heady". That understnding of "why" and "how" is the difference sometimes.

      Delete
    2. I agree. You actually hit on my next point that the other set of coaches were athletes at one point (and many were probably pretty good). This would give their children another athletic advantage. Knowledge of the game provides advantages, but significant size and speed difference will always trump the knowledge and give more opportunities for athlete to play. I definitely appreciate your philosophy as a coach because you teach skills no matter what the player's skill level is. Knowledge + Athletic ability + Size = Beast. Any 2 of the 3 = Very Very Good.

      Delete
  2. I think coaches' kids have a better CHANCE at greatest but are not DESTINED. There are so many factors that contribute to an athlete's superb ability (genetics, self-motivation, peer influence, etc) that there is just not enough weight on the coach's kid argument. Just my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I think destined is too strong of a word and I will change it in the original question. Pre-disposed may be a better word. I agree with you that a lot of factors go into be great, but it doesn't hurt to be young and "understand" the game. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. I think the word pre-destined is a little strong and I have changed it in the original question. A better word would be predisposed. And I say that because living in a situation where you see a good work ethic and can gain a better overall understanding about the intricacies of the game can't help but make you a better player. There are always exceptions and not all cases result in a superb athlete but in my experience, I can tell if a players dad is a coach or at least a student of the game. And thanks for your two cents, there is no right or wrong answer, I was just curious about what others thought.

      Delete